Thursday, February 26, 2009

Like Laverne and Shirley...

So I’m at this point right now where I really just love everything about my life. I honestly think it’s in a big part due to the easier school system here. School always stresses me out, and here you just have to read like 20 pages each week for each class, you go to class and the teacher explains the lecture. It’s so much easier. I actually dread real classes when I come back. However, I think I may switch to a psychology major so I’m hoping that’s more interesting and I can enjoy it more.


Annnywho. Yeah. So I just am really enjoying Spain right now. The culture is so rich that it is really helping me to appreciate people’s talents. I think because it’s so expensive to go see things in the United States, I probably don’t spend the money to appreciate the arts, but being that the things I’m doing here are paid for in my tuition, it’s easier to enjoy them. The people here are just so laid back and they truly mean it when they say “No pasa nada” essentially, Colleen and I like to say, the equivalent of “Hakuna Matata” from the Lion King.

So. Today Colleen and I had an activity planned with our interest group. We went to see a Flamenco performance that was phenomenal. However, we weren’t so sure we were even going to make it to the show. Our group leader had sent us an email with the information on where to meet, but we didn’t really note it. There are basically two places were we ever meet, so we figured that we would just check those two out. Well, we did and still no one. So, I called my friend Kelly and she told us where it was, so we walked a bit and then took a taxi, only to find out that it’s literally like 5 minutes from our house.

We were supposed to have met with our group at 8:30, but because we were at the wrong places, 8:30 came and went and we made it to the theater right at about 9:00, only to be told that they had just closed the doors where our leader was sitting, so he couldn’t come bring the tickets to us. However, the people at the theater were so helpful and let us into the theater to look for him. Well, turns out there were two open seats really close to the front, so they just let us sit there. We felt like such cheaters. Here we are late and irresponsible, and we get these great seats that probably cost like 50 euro, and our poor teacher who probably would have loved our seats is in the upper balcony with our cheap tickets that CIEE was willing to pay for. Good things come to those who are late ☺. It just felt like such a TV episode like Lucy and Ethel or Laverne and Shirley causing shenannanigans or something.

The show was amazing though. The people have such rhythm, and there’s just a natural musicality to their performance. I loved the drummer, because he was just really good. Haha. There were three men who came out and danced. I feel like Flamenco is the Spanish River Dance. I might not mind to go see River Dance actually. They are so amazing and their feet move so fast. I’m sure their legs are in really good shape. Haha. Then there was a woman who looked strangely Mexican or gypsy like to me. She didn’t really strike me as Spanish. She was good too, but a little bit older. One of the guys was sooooo guapo. I would marry him. He was so cute and he had a smile on his face like he loved dancing. Ring on the finger though. Haha. But yes, overall a very enjoyable experience that turned out much better than I was expecting.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha... good things come to those who wait! I love it - wish that were my life. Also I've always wanted to be Lucy, so I'm jealous. :)
    Sounds like you're having an amazing time, Clarebear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. clare- another story of "blessing in disguise". I could totally see you marrying the Spanish version of a riverdancer, and he's always be going off to perform at the club, and you'd be trying to sneak in and get your chance on stage...oh wait, no, that's I Love Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand...switching your major? And cheating? Haha. Don't you love how things work out sometimes?

    Enjoy your weekend my dear =) Love love love

    ReplyDelete